6th Grade Cohort Learning Goals
Each 50 minute session will include a 15 to 20 minute mini lesson from the teacher and approximately 30 minutes of activities and practice. Sessions will allow students to engage with math content and peers while the teacher facilitates student centered learning. Lessons will be as interactive as necessary for student engagement but, will never lose sight of the core concepts of the lesson.
Instructional strategies focus on how students learn best. They are neither common core exclusive or common core inclusive but fluid with problem based learning, guided practice, modeling activities, and reasoning exercises.
Unit 1 Learning Goals
• Add, subtract, multiply, and divide rational numbers (positive and negative decimals, fractions, and integers)
• Develop transition from conceptually understanding rational numbers to developing rules and procedural fluency of rational operations
• Convert fractions to decimals using division
Unit 2 Learning Goals
• Calculate unit rates with complex fractions
• Solve multi step ratio and percent problems with interest, taxes, shopping sales, etc.
• Represent real life ration and percent problems as equations
• Model proportions on a graph
Unit 3 Learning Goals
• Simplify expressions and equations with decimals, fractions, and integers
• Rewrite and identify equivalent expressions and equations
• Learn how to use expressions and equations to solve real world problems
Unit 4 Learning Goals
• Use scale drawings to solve problems with the actual length and size to scale
• Use area, surface area, volume formula to solve for missing values of geometric figures
• Use algebraic expressions to solve for supplementary, complementary, vertical, and adjacent angles.
Unit 5 Learning Goals
• Infer valid comparable conclusions about multiple populations using mean, median, and other measures of variability
• Investigate chance using probability models